A question about a recipe: Peanut Butter Sheet Cake with Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting

352ab925 cf7c 4b48 838e c573060ad093  2018 0322 peanut butter sheet cake 3x2 luzena adams 10604

I have a question about the recipe "Peanut Butter Sheet Cake with Chocolate-Cream Cheese Frosting" from EmilyC. Can I use a milk, lemon juice or vinegar substituent for the buttermilk in this recipe?

asked by Nicola 4 months ago

EmilyC

Hi Nicola: I’m not sure. I hesitate to simply say “go for it!” because there’s a full cup in the cake and it plays such an important role (it makes the batter nice and thick; aids the cake’s rise; and tenderizes). I suspect a buttermilk substitute would technically work, but because it’ll be thinner with a different pH, it’ll affect the viscosity of the batter, and probably the rise, flavor, and texture to some extent. I hope this helps; please report back if you try a buttermilk substitute!

Nicola

Hi EmilyC,
Thank you for a reply that explains why I may want to consider substituting. I'm thinking of making and sharing either at work or with friends, want to bring my "best" effort.

Another quick question though, what do you think if I halve the recipe and bake in a square brownie pan? Any issues there? Again, thank you.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I use soy milk + white vinegar (1 T per cup of milk) as a nondairy buttermilk substitute frequently, and it has worked beautifully every time, including recipes with a LOT of buttermilk (like cornbread for example). FWIW the soy milk after clabbering is quite thick; I suspect clabbered cow's milk would be also.

EmilyC

Yes, I think an 8-inch square pan should work nicely! Hope it’s a hit! : )

Not much help this time, but powdered buttermilk is a great thing to have around if you bake a lot.