A question about a recipe: Dover Sole with Herb Oil and Zucchini

I have a question about the recipe "Dover Sole with Herb Oil and Zucchini" from thirschfeld. The recipe doesn't say how long the fish needs to be in the oven to finish cooking. It also doesn't list a temperature at which to determine if the fish is done. Can either of these be provided please?

• Posted by: Amanda
  • April 17, 2018

702551
702551 April 17, 2018

Cook it until it reaches *YOUR* desired doneness. From a food safety standpoint, it doesn't matter; high quality fresh Dover sole -- like most other flatfish -- can be consumed raw (like sashimi).

Personally I abhor undercooked white-fleshed fish, a popular practice in the USA (and not common in Japan).

One can't use time as a measurement since it has already been browned on a stovetop, stove temperatures are different, the fish filet sizes are different, etc.

So just cook it the way you want. If you like it medium-rare (not fully cooked through), go for it. In the end, it's about you putting food you are happy to serve and eat on your dinner table.

Best of luck.

ChefJune April 18, 2018

Sole and other white flatfishes yield fillets that are quite thin. By the time you have seared them on both sides, they will be nearly done. I cannot imagine putting them into a 350 degree oven for more than a couple of minutes, or they will be overcooked. The fillets are so thin I don't know how you'd ut a thermometer into them to test the temp. However, if your fish "flakes easily," it's probably overcooked.