A question about a recipe: Sichuan Mouth-Numbing Cold Noodles

2919b951 62e5 466a a17b 9ba8cb9b182b  2015 0310 sichuan cold noodles 008

I have a question about the recipe "Sichuan Mouth-Numbing Cold Noodles" from Betty . I've been reading about botulism concerns when putting garlic in oil. I've read heat kills the bacteria but I've also noticed the last step in recipe is to put minced garlic in the cooled down oil. Should I assume the chilli sauce must be consumed immediately?

asked by Zacharywong 3 months ago

Yes, I would consume within a couple of days or refrigerate and use within a week.

Ethyl

As per the FDA, you should consume homemade garlic-infused oil within a week and you should refrigerate it fairly quickly. To that end, I would probably let it infuse in the fridge rather than at room temp as stated in the recipe. If in doubt, throw it out though! The good news is that botulism is pretty rare in the US, so I wouldn't stress out too much about this particular recipe.