A question about a recipe: James Beard's Strawberry Shortcakes

65beb20c 6d29 40ce bcbd 785c6fc8d470  7260210932 2135ecb9bd z 1

I have a question about the recipe "James Beard's Strawberry Shortcakes" from Genius Recipes. Does anyone know why there is no salt? I read in one of the question/answers that salt can tighten the gluten network (making it more tough?), but it seems strange to not have any salt.

asked by jess m about 2 months ago

Emily Singletary
added about 2 months ago

Jess, the recipe on his site calls for 1/8 t kosher salt.

Emily Singletary
added about 2 months ago

Apologies...to add on, that amount of salt won’t be significant enough to affect gluten formation/toughness/crumb. I’d use the 1/8 t as he called for it.

added about 2 months ago

Contrary to popular belief, salt is not necessary in everything you cook. In this type of pastry, fat (shortening) is used to break up (shorten) gluten strands, so the relative effect of gluten is greatly tempered.