Food52 Shopping site review (negative)

So I excitedly ordered a cute french farmers market cart and set of french soaps for a gift to be delivered together. I paid $20 extra for 2 day shipping. However I only just found out that Food52 only works as a mediator between sellers and I paid $20 for two-day shipping for the bars of soap instead of and not with the the $140 french cart. So when I contacted the help team they just let me know that soap was actually "early" so they couldn't refund the shipping cost. They also informed me that I could pay another $20 to have the french cart shipped early. So that would be $40 in shipping for some soap and cart. The birthday has already passed and the soap remains to be the only thing that has been delivered, the cart hasn't even shipped. All I can imagine is the gift recipient thinking "What a pathetic gift, soap." This is one of the worst experiences I have had while online shopping for a gift or in general. Mainly because they do not care to help solve it without suggesting I paying more money for shipping for something that still has not shipped several days later. I will not be a return customer. Clearly they aren't customer orientated and don't care about having loyal shoppers. I DO NOT RECOMMEND SHOPPING ON THIS SITE unless you don't care about when things ship and don't mind patronizing customer service reps.

Tip: Nobody pays for shipping anymore but yet I did, for a bar of soap.... But hey! it arrived "early."

asked by alexa mckool 3 months ago

Customer Care

Hello Alexa! Thank you for this note. It looks like our team is already working on this will you so we will follow up very shortly from our [email protected] address.

Wait, they actually have customer service reps? That speak a language that you know? I have no horse in this race, but that's at any rate more than you get out of most customer service departments.

alexa mckool

True Smaug. However, they aren't trained with the customer in mind so it is pretty much the same as not having a dept at all.

Well, that was mostly intended as a sort of joke, or wry commentary or something- these guys are aiming at an upscale market and their customer service can expect to be held to a pretty high standard. I would, however, like to recount my recent experience with Amazon's ever so helpful customer service; I had a defective, rather large machine from them to return- though all I really needed was a replacement for a $15 blade, which they carried. Not in the Amazon playbook, so instead I had to return a 120 lb machine instead. Last time I did that, I took a defective guitar down to the UPS store and paid $120 to ship it back to them, expecting reimbursement- wrong. So I needed their return label. I spent several weeks sending emails to customer service reps in Bangladesh- I never got the same one twice- who kept promising that they had the situation in control but weren't actually empowered to do anything about it. I eventually went to the next tier- people who claimed to be in the US- and maybe were. Eventually stuff of a sort happened- they shipped me a replacement, which they'd already done (that being the one thing that is in their playbook), which would have left me with two of them to return- It took several phone calls to get that one turned around in transit. Then someone their had the bright idea of issuing a credit, so I then had to explain to several different people that they didn't owe me a credit. So they went into my bank account, without permission, and took it back, p'ing me off to the point that I had to suspend my credit card and change the number. Eventually, some bright person mailed me the shipping label that was all that I ever needed, and it was just a matter of waiting around for UPS to get rid of the thing. What this is all in aid of, other than it's too hot where I am to actually be doing anything, is to point out the deplorable state of customer service offered by modern companies; Amazon actually tries a lot harder than most, but the insistence that it can be handled by machines or by people far away who are only actually authorized to take 2 or 3 different actions makes a joke of the notion of "customer service".

alexa mckool

Yess Smaug, When I shop upscale online stores I pretty much assume good customer service and if it fails me once I pretty much never shop there again. Wow! Now what you went through would drive a person mad!! I never pay to return things and therefore I super cautious when purchasing anything on Amazon, lets say I learned that the hard way and customer service in general is a joke.

I had the same experience with a purchase. Customer services's solution was ridiculous and would of cost me a small fortune.

Sorry to hear you both experienced frustrating customer service. I have found it depends on 'who' answers your call. Yesterday I contacted Amazon as our last 3 pkgs were delivered to our neighbor (addresses are similar). I contacted them through their Chat Line. The rep was great! Filed a report, gave me a full refund (which I said wasn't necessary) and wrote a very cordial note thanking me for being understanding.

Amazon's customer service is very fast and quite generous with the few actions they're equipped to take. Where you run into problems is if you need someone to evaluate a situation and take some sort of a nonstandard action- like putting a mailing label in an envelope and sending it. I understand that they will now send a label to your local UPS store (they can do this by email- maybe this is better, haven't tried it.