A question about a recipe: Oat Streusel Jam Bars

E555dd13 52eb 4cbb a428 538f9b83cf53  2018 0515 oat streusel jam bars 3x2 julia gartland 370

I have a question about the recipe "Oat Streusel Jam Bars" from Emma Laperruque. How does non-dairy butter work with this?

asked by Foodie71 2 months ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi! I've only tested with butter but am hopeful margarine would pull through. Excited to hear if anyone tries this and how it turns out!

Ttrockwood

I have found Earth Balance to be the best vegan baking butter, hasn’t failed me yet. It is formulated to substitute for butter the exact same measurement. (Other vegan butters will have varying amount of water which can have a huge impact when baking)

It doesn't hurt to ask, but people should understand that recipe developers are not likely to have tested their recipes with a lot of substitutions; if they do, they'll generally tell you about it.

Foodie71

Please confine your response to answers not patronizing comments. I am aware of what recipe developers do. The question was asked of the community.

One strives to maintain Food52's Polyanna policy on comments, but you really shouldn't pass out straight lines like that- it could be construed as taunting and earn you a technical foul.