A question about a recipe: Lemon Chess Pie

9eeff00c f947 4e27 8162 5836dd07b872  lemon chess pie

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon Chess Pie" from ElsenEM. How fine of a cornmeal should be used in this recipe? Can corn flour be used instead? Thanks!

asked by Lindsay MacDonald 5 months ago

Probably not.
Corn flour is a label sometimes applied to corn starch (little more than a powdery starch, often used to thicken sauces).
Best to use medium or coarsely ground corn meal, or the same of dry grain labelled polenta.

Ann
Ann

Corn flour is used in place of cornmeal in my experience.I use it all the time for corn bread and as a coating for fried okra ,oysters and fish.Corn starch is a totally different product.

I believe the use of the term corn flour for cornstarch is largely a Brittish thing. Not so sure it has any consistent use in the US, but I'd agree with Nancy as far as the intention of the recipe's writer; she seems to be referring to plain old grocery store corn meal.

Lindsay MacDonald

Thank you for your help! The corn flour I was referring to was most certainly corn flour (Bob's Red Mill) and not cornstarch. I ended up using it because I only had medium grind corn meal and I didn't think the texture would have been good in a chess pie... Worked just fine!