A question about a recipe: Peaches And Sour Cream Ice Cream

De1ff967 5da2 43b2 a411 acf8e4773ea5  2015 0710 peaches and cream ice cream james ransom 019

I have a question about the recipe "Peaches And Sour Cream Ice Cream" from Alice Medrich. I don't have enough sour cream, could i use a cup of heavy whip to make up for it?

asked by Rhy (myself) 2 months ago

Lori Terwilliger

You could, but it would definitely change the flavor profile. I'm assuming your sour cream is the full fat sort, so regular cream would be similar in fat and water content. Sour cream is simply a cultured product made by adding bacteria to cream to thicken it. But as you are talking about substituting half of the amount of sour cream called for, I think you would be better off just purchasing additional sour cream to use. Otherwise, it might end up tasting bland and overly rich, coating the mouth with fat and covering up the glory of the peaches.