A question about a recipe: Thai Summer Squash Curry

I have a question about the recipe "Thai Summer Squash Curry" from Alexandra Dawson. Cilantro & Thai Basil were suggested as additions...but nobody mentioned how much of each to add! How much of each should I use?

1c1d6d90 4f94 48cc 9153 babf62b32ae7  2015 0908 thai summer squash curry james ransom 026
Recipe question for: Thai Summer Squash Curry

Smaug October 8, 2018

You can't really measure either of those accurately, so it would have to be to taste. They're both powerful flavors, though- a tablespoon finely chopped would be a reasonable guess. Cilantro arouses a lot of strong feelings- you'd want to know how your potential eaters feel about it; in my own experience, if finely chopped and cooked 15 min. or so it loses most of what people dislike in it, but some people are quite vehement.

Lost_in_NYC
Lost_in_NYC October 8, 2018

Honestly as garnishes its really up to you and your preference for each herb.

(You don't need to the follow the recipe to an exact "T" if you can't learn to improvise on ingredients that you like/dislike!)

Voted the Best Reply!

702551
702551 October 8, 2018

It should be noted that the addition of Thai basil and cilantro do not come from the recipe author but from one of the readers in the comments section.

As Smaug and Lost_In_NYC, this is a judgment call based on what your specific group of dinner table guests would enjoy.

One option is to provide both herbs (chopped or whole) on the side as condiments. This way, people are able to add according their own personal desire.

Some pho noodle shops do this with their additions.

Best of luck.