A question about a recipe: Whiskey & Apple Cider Syrup (aka the Only Fall Cocktail You Need in Your Life)

I have a question about the recipe "Whiskey & Apple Cider Syrup (aka the Only Fall Cocktail You Need in Your Life)" from Cory Baldwin. How long will it keep? Am guessing I may not have any leftover to keep, but...

• Posted by: Cybele
  • October 30, 2018

Cory Baldwin
Cory Baldwin October 30, 2018

Haha! I’m with you, I usually run out before I’d consider it risky. But to answer your question, because of the high sugar and acid content, boiled cider should keep for at least 3 weeks in your fridge, and pretty much indefinitely if you sterilize the jar or bottle first (just boil it as you would for canning).

BakerBren
BakerBren October 31, 2018

Another standard technique for such syrups that is used by craft soda makers is to add a small amount of alcohol to help with the keeping qualities. Add about 1-2Tbs of alcohol (in this case use whiskey since you use it later--otherwise use a high proof neutral vodka) to the syrup once it is cooled and stir to distribute. This amount is well below the accepted limit of 0.5% ABV for a non-alcoholic drink.