A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. If using your dry brine recipe for turkey and I do NOT want to flip the turkey over after 30 minutes do I still start at 425 and then lower to 325? How essential is it to turn the turkey rather than just roast breast side up entire time. And if not using a cheese cloth do you still skip basting?

asked by Amy about 1 month ago

Cary
added about 1 month ago

Yes. you would still start with the higher temp and then reduce heat. Why not flip the turkey? It is fairly easy and wouldn't be suggested if it didn't have benefits to even cooking and crispier skin.
I don't see any mention of cheesecloth, and only one suggested basting with butter.