A question about a recipe: Instant Pot Buttermilk and Leek Mashed Potatoes

539a95ee 267e 4a8c 9ced 6678e64c67b9  2018 1019 instant pot mashed potatoes chives 3x2 ty mecham 001

I have a question about the recipe "Instant Pot Buttermilk and Leek Mashed Potatoes" from Ella Quittner. What size Instant Pot was this recipe developed for? Wondering if I can size it up for the large 8 quart Instant Pot to get a larger yield for Thanksgiving crowd?

asked by Ellen Gansen about 1 month ago

Ella Quittner

Hi Ellen,

This was developed in a 6-quart Instant Pot. I think it'd be intuitive to scale, e.g. just multiply everything by 1.5x. Let me know how it goes!

Ella

Ellen Gansen

Hi Ella,
I used 1.5 times of every ingredient, and I used an entire 5 lb. bag of Yukon Gold potatoes, which I peeled. The potatoes weighed 4.25 lbs once peeled, so that quantity was just shy of 1.5x the recipe. I prepared this in my 8 qt. Instant Pot it worked perfectly! Honestly, I still plenty of clearance of the max fill line, so I probably could have sized up to 2x everything. These mashed potatoes were incredible! Since the potatoes are not boiled in water, they don't get waterlogged and the true potato flavor really comes through. Can't wait to make these for my family on Thanksgiving. Thanks for the great recipe you developed.

Amy Taylor

Hi Ellen,
Did you still set it to Manual for nine minutes? I made these last night and they were delicious - I'd like to double it for Thanksgiving. There was plenty of room in my pot. I'm just wondering about the time!
Amy

Ella Quittner

Hi Ellen,

So happy to hear that! Very glad you enjoyed the recipe. Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods :)

Ella

d
d

Hey all, I just want to point out that the "max fill line" on most of these IP type devices is too full for using the device under pressure. That "max fill line" is good for crockpot work, but when pressure cooking, you should not fill more than about 2/3 full, according to the directions. That said, I can't wait to try this recipe. Wish I had an 8 quart IP so I could feed my Thanksgiving crowd with this, but I guess that will have to wait.