A question about a recipe: Stovetop Green Bean “Casserole”

I have a question about the recipe "Stovetop Green Bean “Casserole”" from Emma Laperruque. Could I substitute the cream with coconut milk - the fullfat, unsweetened kind? I'm trying to figure out how to make this parve for a kosher Thanksgiving

A7eeafe8 240f 4969 b7bc ea7cebe23b7d  fb avatar

Nancy November 13, 2018
Good luck.
If the altered recipe doesn't work out, look for (tested) parve green bean casseroles from Tori Avey, Jamie Geller or Noreen Gilletz.

Emma L. November 13, 2018
Hi Michael! A couple other people have wondered about dairy-free alternatives, too. Copying my reply from the article page below. Hope it helps!

I haven't tested this recipe with a non-dairy milk or cream, so I can't say for sure—and I wouldn't want you to find out that it doesn't work on Thanksgiving. Your best bet would be a mini test run before the holiday: Sauté 10 ounces sliced mushrooms, deglaze with 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, and reduce until thick. Another option to consider: Make an ultra-thick cashew cream (https://food52.com/recipes...) and stir that into the sautéed mushrooms; you would just have to warm it up, versus reduce, since you can control the thickness when making the cashew cream.

Michael P. November 19, 2018
Okay so I tested the coconut milk over the weekend (we put it over meatloaf) and it turned out really great! Thanks for the help.