A question about a recipe: Stovetop Green Bean “Casserole”

5716da87 68fd 4f40 a54b 800306d0ee90  2018 1102 green bean casserole 3x2 julia gartland 250

I have a question about the recipe "Stovetop Green Bean “Casserole”" from Emma Laperruque. Could I substitute the cream with coconut milk - the fullfat, unsweetened kind? I'm trying to figure out how to make this parve for a kosher Thanksgiving

asked by Michael Post about 1 month ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

added about 1 month ago

Hi Michael! A couple other people have wondered about dairy-free alternatives, too. Copying my reply from the article page below. Hope it helps!

I haven't tested this recipe with a non-dairy milk or cream, so I can't say for sure—and I wouldn't want you to find out that it doesn't work on Thanksgiving. Your best bet would be a mini test run before the holiday: Sauté 10 ounces sliced mushrooms, deglaze with 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, and reduce until thick. Another option to consider: Make an ultra-thick cashew cream (https://food52.com/recipes......) and stir that into the sautéed mushrooms; you would just have to warm it up, versus reduce, since you can control the thickness when making the cashew cream.

Michael Post

Okay so I tested the coconut milk over the weekend (we put it over meatloaf) and it turned out really great! Thanks for the help.

added about 1 month ago

Good luck.
If the altered recipe doesn't work out, look for (tested) parve green bean casseroles from Tori Avey, Jamie Geller or Noreen Gilletz.