A question about a recipe: Pumpkin Pie Cobbler

50688e84 ce56 40f3 928f ecc3e0deb603  2018 0726 pumpkin pie cobbler 3x2 julia gartland 14888

I have a question about the recipe "Pumpkin Pie Cobbler" from Erin McDowell. Could I substitute the heavy cream and sugar for sweetened condensed milk?

asked by Tessa Matheson 27 days ago

Matilda Luk

Stella Parks has a recipe for homemade sweetened condensed milk here: https://www.seriouseats.... My guess is that you could replace it with heavy cream + sugar, but the filling would probably be runnier.

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

You’d definitely want to cut down the sugar inside the recipe - the more equal substitute would be evaporated milk (unsweetened)!