A question about a recipe: Butter-Toasted-Walnut Layer Cake

Cc58d5eb d22b 4454 bdb4 34c1673e04e8  walnut cake

I have a question about the recipe "Butter-Toasted-Walnut Layer Cake" from Nostrovia_ca. Has anyone tried making this icing with less than the called for, 6 cups, of sugar?

asked by KLM about 1 month ago

Emmie

You could try but I wouldn't recommend it, as the recipe needs an appropriate amount of sugar to be hydrated by the butter and provide fluffiness and structure. Using less sugar may result in an unpleasantly dense, greasy frosting.

Agree with Emmie about keeping the recommended amount of confectioner sugar in the icing part of the recipe.
But if you want to reduce sugar consumption, there are tips here from King Arthur:
https://blog.kingarthurflour...
Another way to approach it is to reduce the size of the cake served, and thus of the serving sizes.
For example, here the three round 9" pans accommodate 24 cups volume.
One recipe would fit into six round 6" pans or two rectangle pans (9x13" commonly used for lasagna or other casseroles).
You could make two cakes, serving one first and saving one in freezer or fridge for another occasion.

Cary

You could also make less frosting and just do the top of each layer, not the sides (naked cake style) to reduce the amount of sugar consumed