A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. I am planning on using a sous-vide for one of out two birds this year and that recipe calls for sugar along with the salt-- does anyone use sugar in their dry brine?

asked by TJL 22 days ago

Cory Baldwin

Yes, I've used a little brown sugar in dry brine before and have seen many other recipes out there that call for sugar! (The reason you may not see sugar in every dry brine recipe is because the most important part of dry brining is the salt; also, if you plan to roast at a high heat, I think the sugar could potentially make the turkey skin brown unevenly aka get some darker brown spots...looking into it!)