A question about a recipe: Sheet-Pan Mac & Cheese With Pumpkin & Brown Butter

Dd718069 0c3b 44f8 abfe e2cd6ef27c1a  pumpkin mac and cheese

I have a question about the recipe "Sheet-Pan Mac & Cheese With Pumpkin & Brown Butter" from Ella Quittner. i’d prefer not to use canned purree and we have a sugar pumpkin acorn squash and a kabocha at my house. could any of these be substituted + made into a homemade purée?

asked by m.sharpe 23 days ago

Joanna Sciarrino
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

Hi m. sharpe! You can definitely use any of those squashes as a substitute for the canned pumpkin. Just be sure to use 1 1/4 cups of puree of whichever one you use.

m.sharpe

thank you SO much for the quick reply + details!! happy thanksgiving! :)

I've done both...made from scratch and used canned puree.
And both work.
Do whichever you prefer.
(I found the canned puree dine, and would rather save my good while squash for dishes where I see their forms.)

Fine

m.sharpe

hmm.. that is a very good point for saving pretty squashes for when they can be seen - appreciate your help! enjoy the holiday! :)