🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cowboy Rubbed Rib Eye with Chocolate Stout Pan Sauce

04e1779a a2e3 4f34 ad85 862e3133c4cf  cowboy steak

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Cowboy Rubbed Rib Eye with Chocolate Stout Pan Sauce" from Aliwaks. It says:

"Heat a cast iron pan until it's really really hot -- a drop of water flicked into the pan should sizzle and bounce. Add vegetable oil, wait a few seconds until the oil heats up, then place the steak in the pan. It should sizzle; leave it there, do not touch it at all for 3-4 minutes. It should be browning on the bottom. Then place it under a hot broiler and broil to medium rare or desired doneness."

asked by gramps over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Correct. You don't turn it over, the broiler cooks the top.

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

Yep! That way you dont have to turn it, I have a phobia about burning my bangs! I get really nervous bending into the broiler, so discovered if I get cast irOn pan really hot it sears the bottom, no turning. No burnt hair scariness :).