A question about a recipe: Matcha Snickerdoodles

I have a question about the recipe "Matcha Snickerdoodles" from Ali Slagle. This was listed under vegan recipes, but doesn't white chocolate include milk? Is there a substitute for the white chocolate?

• Posted by: Joanne
  • December 6, 2018
63b491d1 3025 406b 9da5 2f44a560cbed  2015 0310 matcha snickerdoodles 017
Recipe question for: Matcha Snickerdoodles

Smaug December 6, 2018

If you can find cocoa butter you could sub that along with sugar- white chocolate is usually around 20-25% cocoa butter and 50% sugar. You could probably sub coconut oil for the cocoa butter.

702551
702551 December 6, 2018

Even if one could successfully replace the white chocolate with a vegan substitute, that doesn't change the other four or so ingredients that are resolutely *NOT* vegan: butter, eggs, honey, and granulated sugar.

I don't understand the justification behind giving this recipe the vegan tag as it clearly is not.

Smaug December 6, 2018

It would involve some rather intensive substituting- why is white sugar non vegan, if you know?

702551
702551 December 6, 2018

99.9% of US commercial cane sugar is processed with bone char (carbonized animal bones) to bleach the product.

Beet sugar does not undergo this treatment.

However, if a given product's label ingredients simply list "sugar" then one must accept the very high probability that some or all of the sugar occasionally or always contains commercial cane sugar (thus processed with bone char).

Smaug December 6, 2018

And here I thought it was just sausage factories that I didn't want to know about.

702551
702551 December 6, 2018

The cane sugar thing is nothing.

Ask a vegan about commercial honeybee hive rental and the California almond harvest.

You will likely get the most uncomfortable stony silence from someone who typically lets everyone in the room immediately know that he/she is vegan.

702551
702551 December 6, 2018

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich December 6, 2018

There are brands of white chocolate that are vegan. Hopefully you can easily find one of those brands. These matcha snickerdoodles look delicious.

Smaug December 6, 2018

By law in both the US and Europe white chocolate must contain at least 3.5% milk solids.

702551
702551 December 6, 2018

Close, but not quite right.

Here's the real definition:

"White chocolate is the solid or semiplastic food prepared by mixing and grinding cocoa butter with one or more of the optional dairy ingredients listed in 21 CFR 163.124(b)(2) (see question 3 below) and one or more optional nutritive carbohydrate sweeteners. It contains a minimum of 20 percent cocoa butter, a minimum of 14 percent of total milk solids, a minimum of 3.5 percent milkfat, and a maximum of 55 percent nutritive carbohydrate sweeteners. (21 CFR 163.124)"

Source: US Food & Drug Administration

https://www.fda.gov/Food...