A question about a recipe: Richard Sax’s Chocolate Cloud Cake

C8630eb8 8382 4b71 bf81 bfd3dabcc248  chocolate cloud cake genius desserts 3x2 1861 1

I have a question about the recipe "Richard Sax’s Chocolate Cloud Cake" from Genius Recipes. Regarding the 8-inch springform pan, which manufacturer is used in the video? I've been researching the pans and reviews are all over the map. The pan "looks" like a Chicago Metallic, but since Food52 sells a lot of Nordicware, I'm wondering if that is the manufacturer. Thanks in advance...

asked by Patty Harris 8 days ago

dkv
dkv

Not sure but I can tell you that I have made this cake probably 10 times in foreign kitchens and equally foreign pans around the world and can safely
Confirm that this cake is foolproof no matter which springform you cook it in.

I've never made it in anything but a springform, but I'm not at all sure it's necessary as it has no real tendency to stick; I think it could be made in any deep cake pan, such as a traditional cheesecake pan. Without seeing the reviews, I would guess that complaints mostly involve leakage- not a problem with this recipe.

The brand shouldn't matter that much.

For sure, commercial bakeries, restaurants, and catering services aren't using frou-frou premium gear.

The springform pan in the video is pretty shiny, likely made of tin, not aluminum.

It's very possible that it's just a relatively inexpensive generic commercial-grade pan like a Browne, Winco or NorPro rather some fancy name brand pan.

I just checked our cake pan stash and it looks like this one is a Norpro tin springform (not nonstick, which is helpful for encouraging the cloud to climb up the sides without slipping).

Patty Harris

Thanks! I went ahead and purchased a not nonstick Chicago Metallic version - looks like it should work!