A question about a recipe: Instant Pot (Or Not) Carnitas

4a128156 b890 48d5 80b0 af84f8f482e6  ip carnitas 2

I have a question about the recipe "Instant Pot (Or Not) Carnitas" from Posie (Harwood) Brien. Does the pork have to be cubed if you are going to shred of anyway? It seems like a lot of extra work.

asked by Jodie DAvis 4 days ago

They are cut up into small pieces so they cook faster.

This recipe is somewhat backwards; it is absolutely essential in carnitas that the meat is browned AFTER it is cooked; the crust that this forms is the major defining characteristic of the dish. Homemade versions of the dish vary in technique- it is best deep fried in lard, in which case it should really be done in large pieces, but people make versions that involve shredding and browning in the broiler in a fairly shallow baking pan. This is a better than nothing method, but probably your best bet in this case.