A question about a recipe: Vegan Dark Chocolate-Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Vegan Dark Chocolate-Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies" from Ella Quittner. My cookies came out compluetely flat like pancakes! No expired ingredients. Wondering why this recipe does not call for baking soda when Karlie’s original recipe does?

Ella Quittner
Ella Quittner December 14, 2018

Hi Christina,

I'm so sorry to hear that! It hasn't happened to me with this recipe, but I have of course had spread issues at times, usually having to do with either oven heat, amount of time I chilled the cookie mounds, and/or temperature of fats in the dough. Do you have a thermometer in your oven?

All the best,
Ella

Lori Terwilliger
Lori Terwilliger December 14, 2018

I don't know if the baking soda was omitted accidentally or purposefully. But just because your baking powder was not past the expiration date doesn't mean it is still active, and that might be your trouble. Baking powder starts losing potency as soon as you open the can, and it starts absorbing moisture. You probably should check yours to see how active it is. You can do that by adding 1 teaspoon of your baking powder to 1/3 cup of boiling hot water. If it bubbles actively, it's good. If it gives a rather pitiful fizz, or worst yet, no fizz at all- it needs replacing. If your baking powder is good, and you want to try again, there's nothing to keep you from adding in the 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. There should be plenty of acid in the batter from the molasses to activate it fully.

Smaug December 14, 2018

Doesn't sound like baking soda is the problem, it wouldn't do more than add a moderate amount of puffiness. I generally stay out of the cookie spreading debate, people seem to have a lot of fun inventing mystical reason why cookies spread; I maintain it's almost always a matter of the fat/flour ratio being off, but I virtually never have trouble with cookies spreading, other than maybe the last one that I scrape off the side of the bowl, so I find it best to stay out of it.

Sophia Addison
Sophia Addison December 20, 2018

I got so puffed with this blog that I tried baking the cookies on my own. Just like how I get totally blown by the https://penmypaper.com/ blogs. As per my understanding, I ended up quite well except the output became a little extra tight. Can you suggest me something that I can do to make it better next time?

Ella Quittner
Ella Quittner December 20, 2018

Hi Sophia

Can you please elaborate on how your cookies looked (or what the texture was)?

Thanks so much,
Ella

Sophia Addison
Sophia Addison December 20, 2018
PenMyPaper