A question about a recipe: Peppermint Hi-Hat Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Peppermint Hi-Hat Cake" from Erin McDowell. Can I use something else instead of coconut oil for the glaze?

61bcb7a7 0860 4e18 9305 8be86ed10f74  2018 1108 peppermint hi hat cake 3x2 rocky luten 029
Recipe question for: Peppermint Hi-Hat Cake

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell December 19, 2018

You can just make a simple ganache - like glaze instead using chocolate and heavy cream, but this magic shell style glaze really only works with coconut oil, it helps it set firm!

Kate Mutchnik
Kate Mutchnik December 20, 2018

Hi Erin, your cake is beautiful. I cannot wait to try it. How do you recommend you slice it to keep the slices perfect?

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell December 20, 2018

Use a warm knife and you’ll be able to slice very cleanly and easily. Dip your knife in very hot water and wipe it clean with each slice you make!

Christine
Christine January 10, 2019

Hi Erin! I made this cake last night and it is delicious! Unfortunately, it ended up more like a York peppermint patty because I just couldn’t get peaks on the egg whites! Any idea of what I could’ve done wrong?