High Altitude Cooking

Are there any high-altitude-specific recipes on this site?

Amy
Amy January 2, 2019

I've not seen any, but I grew up in Colorado 6,000 ft+. These are my two not so hard or fast rules for high altitude cooking,
1) Air pressure is lower, so foods take longer to cook. Temperatures and/or cook times may need to be increased.
2) Water boils at a lower temperature, so foods prepared with water (such as pastas and soups) may take longer to cook. Temperatures and cook times may need to be increased.
High altitude baking can be a little trickier, but I've found that CSU offers some great tips, http://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/high-altitude-food-preparation-p41/.
I've also found that adding an extra egg to cakes, quick breads and cookies is a pretty good way to get your bakes to turn out.

Marjane McDougall
Marjane McDougall January 2, 2019

Thank you for the baking tip, especially. I know that many things take longer (my Christmas turkey was ...mostly...cooked at 10 pm the only year we've managed to have Christmas at our 7200' cabin). Every time I've tried baking, it's been disastrous.

Amy
Amy January 2, 2019

If you're looking for baking recipes, this gal's blog is great https://highaltitudebakes.com/ She lives somewhere in the Rockies so all of her recipes are high altitude tested.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen January 2, 2019

There is a book by Susan Purdy called 'Pue in the sky' it's helpful. As far as baking goes in general reduce sugars by 1-2 TBSP per cup. Reduce baking soda/ powder by 1/8- 1/4 tsp. I live in CO Springs, Co 6035ft.

Melusine
Melusine January 4, 2019

It’s a terrific book! I used it the year I was in 7,000 foot above sea level Kabul-happily, on a very safe compound with a US-style kitchenette. The author tested the recipes at multiple levels, so I learned why some old favorites weren’t quite right at another city that was a few yards under 3,000 feet. She also made it easy to adapt other recipes.

Marjane McDougall
Marjane McDougall January 4, 2019

Thank you for this suggestion. I've now ordered it from Amazon.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen January 4, 2019

Ooops... It's called ,'Pie in the sky... 'I hate spell check sometimes 🙄 King Arthur Flour has info on high altitude baking, that's easily accessible online.