A question about a recipe: Spun Honey

I have a question about the recipe "Spun Honey" from hardlikearmour. I have neve made dutch spun honey. I need better ingredient amounts as well as how much the batch makes.

• Posted by: Carol
  • January 4, 2019
  • 1 Comment
B604dd08 2f38 41b2 8f81 3d42a98ff293  spun honey
Recipe question for: Spun Honey

1 Comment

Lori Terwilliger
Lori Terwilliger January 5, 2019

I don't know about dutch spun honey, but I do make my own and after looking at the recipe it would seem to be pretty much the same product. It goes by many names, spun honey, whipped honey, or cream honey. It is all based on the same principle, which is getting raw honey to form very tiny crystals. All honey will crystallize over time, but it usually forms large clumps. To start with, you just need honey. If you have some that has already started to crystallize, that's fine. Otherwise, you can use honey powder, or spun honey that you purchased to use as the "seeds" for the crystals to form. I generally use 3 tablespoons of seed honey to 2 cups of liquid honey. But honestly, proportions are not that critical. I've used more or less at times. What counts is letting it sit at a cooler temperature, like below 60F, for the process to complete itself. Spun or cream honey is the result of manipulating the crystal formation, so that it stays in tiny form as opposed to the large form you generally see when honey crystallizes naturally in your jar. Once you have your mixture, it's just a matter of patient waiting and checking to see when it has completed the crystal formation and no more liquid honey is present. A lot more starter seeds, and the right temperature will do that faster than one with less seed starter. Mine usually just takes a few days. The reason for crushing up the already crystallized honey is to break them up into smaller sizes, and the already spun honey or honey powder is already pretty well the right size. As the liquid honey forms crystals, it will use those smaller ones as the set pattern to follow- and that lets you end up with the smoother and spoonable product you want. You are whipping or spinning with the mixer just to evenly mix the seeds and liquid honey, not to get any air into the honey. You don't actually want air in the honey, because that will contaminate it with perhaps undesired bacteria. So the beater needs to be immersed in the honey, to the greatest extent possible. If your beater won't reach down to the very bottom of your jar, then that part won't be mixed as well. It will still eventually crystallize, it will just take longer to convert the entire jar. So I usually do my mixing in wide mouth pint jar, or a squat wide mouth quart. If you do a web search, you'll find recipes that do give more exact amounts to use. But as I said, the amounts of seed honey to liquid honey isn't set in stone. It's temperature during the crystallization that is most important, and being patient to let it happen as it happens. At the right temperature, it will take between 3 and 5 days. It may take you a batch or so to figure out the best method to use in your kitchen. But even if it doesn't turn out quite as smooth as you might like, it will still be very edible. You can always gently reheat it to turn it liquid again, and try adding in a new seed starter if you want. This is one time when experimentation won't leave you with unusable ingredients to waste. Once you do make a product you really like, be sure to keep some of it back to use as the seed starter for future batches. Good luck, and happy honey making.