A question about a recipe: Black Olive Butter

I have a question about the recipe "Black Olive Butter" from Emma Laperruque. Where do you source the pitted oilcured black olives? I do not want to use Kalmatas.

• Posted by: Ursula
  • January 8, 2019
27718f4e de30 478e beba b643677a27bc  2018 0320 black olive butter process 3x2 julia gartland 280
Recipe question for: Black Olive Butter

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque January 8, 2019

Hi! I've found them in a couple places: In a jar, near other jarred olives in the supermarket. In a bulk antipasto section in a supermarket like Whole Foods, near the cheese.

Ursula
Ursula January 8, 2019

Thank you for the speedy reply. I’ve checked everywhere here in Seattle. Even the Paris/Madrid grocer! Even Amazon.com -no luck!

BerryBaby January 11, 2019

Did you try Trader Joe's?

Victoria
Victoria January 11, 2019

Here's the link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=oil-cured+black+olives

Victoria
Victoria January 9, 2019

You should try Amazon again, I searched oil cured black olives and a huge selection popped up.

Ursula
Ursula January 11, 2019

Thank you Victoria, I checked Amazon and found Roland Brand black olive paste that seems like it would be perfect since already pitted other than it doesn’t indicate that the olives were oil cured. I’m afraid this product maybe more like “ripe” black olives without the intense flavor that this recipe seems to rely on. The other product I located was also offered by Roland. It said “oil cured pitted olives” they were black and came in a 5 lb. bag. Which product do you think would make the better ingredient for this recipe?
Thank you for your responses!

Victoria
Victoria January 11, 2019

If you search oil cured black olives, you will see more choices. I don't have an opinion which you should use. I would think you could find them at World Market or some other local store. My local Safeway has an olive bar in the deli, I don't know what types they have.

Ursula
Ursula January 11, 2019

Berry Baby- Yes i did, they don’t carry oil cured olives. Thank you for the suggestion!

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood January 13, 2019

I find them at whole foods, either at the olive bar or in a jar on the shelf with other olives.
I would swap in any small dark intense olive instead.
Or you can order these online
https://yummybazaar.com/products/black-olives-with-provence-herbs-by-barral-7-5-oz?variant=20969926790&gclid=CjwKCAiA4OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJX6TCc4s98DWKClVAmRZDo-02-oMxIg82X5zGRW0CLg6-VzBviHSdhoCAmIQAvD_BwE

The roland olive paste mentioned is not what you want.
Another option is get the refrigerated olive tapenade at trader joe’s and drain it to use, it’s made from an intense mix of olives and will work well for this recipe