A question about a recipe: Butter Pecan Cookies

I have a question about the recipe "Butter Pecan Cookies" from Emma Laperruque. My cookies flattened out in the oven instead of staying balls. What did I do wrong? I measured everything out by weight and the oven was 350

1a893a53 9d12 4db4 ab21 c1488dcb6657  2018 1115 brown butter pecan cookies 3x2 rocky luten 008
Recipe question for: Butter Pecan Cookies

BerryBaby January 12, 2019

A number of factors could cause this. Dough was too warm, flour wasn't measured accurately, cookies sheets were buttered and should not have been, extra large eggs were used instead of large eggs. I place my dough in the refrigerator after forming it into balls or shapes. I always do this with shortbread. Keeps the edges from spreading. Hope these help.
BB💐

Karen Ko
Karen Ko January 12, 2019

Thanks for your help! I didn’t refrigerate after I formed the balls. I’ll try that next time.

Sam corber
Sam corber January 12, 2019

In addition to the points BerryBaby laid out, inaccuracy can also be introduced during the browning of the butter (how much water do you evaporate out?), how much you ground the pecans, salted butter vs unsalted... Have you measured your oven accurately with a thermometer? Ovens usually do not run exactly at the temperature you set it to. Different areas of your oven vary drastically in temperature as well. Finally, trouble can arise if you run a convection oven for a recipe developed for a regular oven.

Karen Ko
Karen Ko January 12, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’ll take all these into account next time.