A question about a recipe: Homemade Mayonnaise

I have a question about the recipe "Homemade Mayonnaise " from Emily | Truefood. What is a good recipe for mayo in a whisking jar? I'về recently gotten the Happy Tappi whisking jar set, and I've never made homemade mayonnaise before. Would the basic recipes I see one the site work? The video from the company seems to show only egg yolks, not a whole egg. Any hints or tips appreciated.

Abd95314 508f 41ac aef0 36aa20d6132a  img 7609 insta
Recipe question for: Homemade Mayonnaise

Nancy January 30, 2019

Don't know your tool, but there are many reliable mayo recipes that use only a yolk.
One recommended by Michael Ruhlman (chef-author) in his 2009 book RATIO works like a dream.
It's from chef Bob del Gross, uses yolk of 1 large (2 oz) egg and half cup olive oil.
Good luck!

Mary Ellen Ramsden
Mary Ellen Ramsden January 30, 2019

Thank you! I'm a big Michael Ruhlman fan. I think I have Ratio on my Kindle, I'll take a look.

MtAdventurer
MtAdventurer January 30, 2019

I routinely make mayonnaise in a pint mason jar using an immersion blender (videos all over youtube on this technique). A pint mason jar is about 3 inches circumference and 4 inches high. The amounts below make about 2/3 jar of mayo. I often use 1 whole egg if I don't have any use for separate egg white(s), so for 1 whole egg (add the egg first):
1/2 T white wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
scant 1/4 tsp sugar
3/4 plus a bit, just shy 1 cup oil
Let egg settle, blend slowly until emulsion starts, then lift blender incorporating all into a thick emulsion. Not sure how the method works with the whipping jar.

Mayo made as above is not quite as rich as with yolks only, but I find it very good. Yolks only is the authentic recipe.

Mary Ellen Ramsden
Mary Ellen Ramsden January 30, 2019

That sounds very doable, thank you! The whisking jar is kind of like a big spring on a plunger handle, so this recipe should work. I'm thinking 2 or 3 yolks instead of 1 whole egg.

Mary Ellen Ramsden
Mary Ellen Ramsden January 30, 2019

By the way, here's a link to the whisking jar set that I'm referring to. I bought it on this website. It's not available anymore, but it may come back. It's a mayo jar and a whipped cream jar. https://milled.com/food52/this-whisking-jar-whips-cream-mayo-and-more-in-a-flash-vp8PbWoZturBL0s3

MtAdventurer
MtAdventurer February 1, 2019

Thanks! And thanks for responding to the comments. FWIW, I have made yolk only and whole egg mayo with canola, olive oil, olive oil-canola mix and avocado oil. They all work. I like the milder canola or avocado over olive oil, but that is the beauty of making it yourself … customizing to what tastes best to you and/or fits what product you'd prefer to use.