A question about a recipe: 10-Minute Egg Drop Soup

I have a question about the recipe "10-Minute Egg Drop Soup" from Yih-Jen Ku. The directions say to use 12 oz of water; however, the water isn't included in the ingredients. Am I understanding that I should also add 12 oz of water?

• Posted by: Laura
  • February 9, 2019
76c8ca58 c40b 4332 80d0 faff21a6b560  2018 1127 egg drop soup corn scallions 3x2 rocky luten 016 1
Recipe question for: 10-Minute Egg Drop Soup

Cheryl
Cheryl February 9, 2019

Can frozen corn be used?

Lori Terwilliger
Lori Terwilliger February 9, 2019

It's not uncommon to see recipes call for water, although it isn't listed as an ingredient per se. I imagine that is because the majority of people have running water and don't need to arrange to have it on hand in the same way as one might need to purchase ingredients specifically for a recipe. To answer your question, yes, you will be adding 12 ounces of water in addition to the broth and condensed cream of chicken soup. Otherwise, when you stir in the egg your soup will thicken up beyond soup consistency and become a very thick sauce. For the other poster- yes, I don't see any reason why you could not use frozen whole kernal corn. If you don't thaw it first, it will add to your cooking time

Lori Terwilliger
Lori Terwilliger February 9, 2019

Sorry- fat fingered typing. Adding frozen corn to the soup mixture will mean it takes longer to come back to a boil- but otherwise it won't change anything else. You can also thaw the corn in a strainer under warm running water, set it aside to thaw naturally, or microwave it briefly. It also won't be bringing any extra liquid to the party, so you might have to adjust the thickness with a bit more water before serving.

Cheryl
Cheryl February 10, 2019

Thank you for getting back to me. I realized about the liquid after I sent the question. I am looking forward to making this.i love egg drop soup.

michelle
michelle February 12, 2019

Wanted really badly to like this but to me it just tasted like cream of chicken soup. I ended up adding some soy sauce and sesame oil to amp up the flavor, but, I wouldn’t make it again.