Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Spring Pea and Ricotta Torte with Lemon and Mint

B30a640a 6ebc 4349 b30e 8245f1e080df  spring pea and ricotta torte

I have a question about the recipe "Spring Pea and Ricotta Torte with Lemon and Mint" from TasteFood.

How do you determine if pecorino is young or old?

asked by Baywife over 5 years ago
Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I'm answering mostly to thank you for calling attention to this recipe. The season has come around again and I'll be making this.

To answer your question: I don't know, but suggest a good cheese shop or department where someone will know. Is that acceptable?

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Pretty sure aged Pecorino is harder and more crumbly than a young one - also a sharper/saltier taste. Kind of deeper color too. (When in doubt, I'd just ask your cheese guy. And ask for a taste.)

8c9db971 a7fe 4380 a7e1 415e74cb3d1d  green apple card

A young pecorino is paler and softer in texture, with a milder, rounder flavor. An aged pecorino is harder and often more burnished in color, with a sharper, saltier flavor. Older pecorinos are aged over 6 months, and their labels will often say so.