How sweet is dark brown sugar?

I am following a sweet potato pie recipe that calls for 1 cup of white sugar. Obviously a pie is supposed to be sweet, but with some of the other added ingredients to the pie, I'm afraid that it is going to be too sweet! If I changed the recipe to ½ cup of white sugar and ½ cup of dark brown sugar, would it be less sweet? I have also heard that adding citrus can help balance the sweetness out. Should I add lemon juice?

• Posted by: MJLove
  • July 31, 2019

Kristen W. August 1, 2019
I would add whatever kind of sugar you like to taste - start with less than the recipe calls for and you can always add more if it’s not sweet enough for you. I think that dark brown sugar is a great idea, flavor-wise. Re: citrus, I’ve not tried lemon juice with sweet potato but you can always take a little of the filling separately and add a smidge of lemon juice and see how you like it. I really like a little fresh orange juice mixed in with sweet potatoes but of course that adds sweetness so you might dial the sugar down even further if you did that. Even though I try to follow recipes accurately the first time I try them, if something seems wrong to my palate I absolutely believe in changing it to suit my taste. Good luck!

MJLove August 1, 2019
Thank you!