A question about a recipe: Mocha Chip Ice Cream

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Mocha Chip Ice Cream" from The Constant Gardener. I'm relatively new at making ice cream -- may I ask what the baking powder does for the recipe? I haven't seen that before and I'm curious.

asked by Melusine over 7 years ago

The baking soda is going to react with the chocolate and coffee (powder or grounds), both of which are acidic, to create CO2, thereby lightening the whole compound. Don't leave it out!

Melusine

Thank you -- that makes sense now.

Melusine

This was some of the best coffee ice cream in the known universe; certainly the best I've ever made. My boyfriend is visiting -- he's been living in Senegal for a few months, and has been good-ice-cream deprived, and coffee ice cream is his favorite. I gave him a smorgasbord of chocolate to choose from, and he was in heaven.

How wonderful for both of you!