A question about a recipe: Cheese Biscuits

I have a question about the recipe "Cheese Biscuits" from merrill. I made these last week and while they were extremely well received by dinner guests, I noted that my biscuits were about half the height of a regular biscuit. I certainly followed the receipe and used baking powder. Where might I have gone wrong?

2109e55e e792 4d2a abc8 037c91e1884c  041911f 147
Recipe question for: Cheese Biscuits

Merrill Stubbs May 6, 2011

As you can probably tell from our photos, we had no problems with rising. Is there any chance that your baking powder has been sitting around for a while?

Cookbook Thief
Cookbook Thief May 6, 2011

Guilty. I suspected that the age of my baking powder might be the issue and I should really know better at this point. I think it might be time to chuck it and start with a fresh supply. Thank you!

jeinde
jeinde May 6, 2011

Baking powder (and soda) has expiration dates on it which I discovered when I had something not rise properly. When you only use a tsp. occasionally, it can get past that date pretty quickly.