🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Banana-date shake

01bba228 cc13 11e5 a8f0 3c15c2d2bb38  60 full

I have a question about the recipe "Banana-date shake" from Hummusit. I've tried to add dates to shakes before, and I always have trouble getting them to blend smoothly. I've used fresh, soft dates from the farmers market, and pulsed them a few times in the blender on their own before gradually adding the liquid ingredients, but they just turned into little chunks of date pieces floating throughout the shake, not adding to the overall creaminess of the shake as they disintegrated, which is what I imagined would happen. Is there a special technique I'm missing?

asked by linzarella over 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Take 1/2 cup of boiling water - stir in dates that have been quartered and add 1/2 tsp. of baking soda. Let soak and your dates will be nice and soft. The soda makes the cells mushy and softens the dates.

0b360b64 877d 4742 8283 76f2c1197f7f  redsaurkraut

I chop my dates, soak them in hot/boiling water, and then make a puree of just the dates and a small amount of milk (or whatever shake liquid you're using) before adding the other ingredients. Works for me!

Hi linzarella- I'm not sure where you are in the world, I'll assume in the US. There are different kind of dates, and here (in IL) we have a variety of soft and hard(er) fruit available, so I wasn't thinking about limitations. Aside from the suggestions already made, check if you have date paste where you are. Date paste is essentially dates for the lazy - pitted, mashed, and vacuum packed. But soft. That might work for you as well.

Date syrup is also available. After having date banana shakes in Israel, I've tried it both ways. The syrup definitely makes a smoother shake, which I prefer. Since some of my family has gone off dairy, I've also made it with almond milk and soy milk. Basically, with the date banana combination, you can't go wrong!