A question about a recipe: Okonomiyaki

C8141b5b 2e34 42fc 8cdd 09273b032dbb  2016 1102 okonomiyaki james ransom 219

I have a question about the recipe "Okonomiyaki" from Midge.
I can't wait to try this recipe. Do you use raw shrimp or cooked? Thanks!

asked by pamelalee almost 7 years ago

We used uncooked -- fresh and frozen (and thawed) both worked well!

I'm making that tonight too! Do you think cooked diced chicken (pounded thin and chopped) would well?

Sounds good to me!

Midge

As Kristen says, raw shrimp is the way to go. @Sam1148, can't wait to hear about chicken works!

FYI, I used cooked small shrimp when I made these, and that worked great for me. They were not tough at all. But I think raw would be best.

keel

My mom made this for me as a kid and used chicken and steak. It's unconventional but we also used to eat it with A-1 sauce. We had Japanese foreign exchange students who taught us how to make it.

It turned out pretty good with the chicken. Chopped in tiny cubes, soaked in soy sauce a bit. Pre-Cooked..then cooled and added to the mix.

I had to adjust proportions and think I may have added too much egg/flour compared to the glam pic. So they where a bit 'foo young' with a more heavy coating. Next time I'll back off on the flour egg mix--or add more 'stuff'. Used 2 eggs and about 1/4 cup of flour. 1 cup cabbage, 1 cup of chopped chicken, 1/3 cup of scallions. Needed a bit more cabbage to lighten it out.

Still, excellent! A great recipe and quick to throw together.
(I served both the sauce in the recipe--as a dipping sauce, and some A1 sesame oil, ginger powder drizzle on the side).