🔕 🔔

I would like a recommendation on a coffee grinder for home use. I make my own lattes and expressos withe a small counter top DeLonghi.

asked by rich miller almost 7 years ago

Panfusine

Krups coffee grinder...it retails for about 19 - 25 in most stores, quiet & sturdy!

mtrelaun

For proper espresso, you'll need a burr grinder. The Hario Skerton manual one in the food52 Shop is a great, affordable option (http://bit.ly/qcZOL4). I've also used a Solis/Baratza Maestro ($80-$150 depending on the model) which is dependable and has a small footprint.

I'm down with burr grinders too---except that I use mine for spices. There is one from a store called Tortoise in Venice, CA. Japanese made and it should still be available in the food52 shop. Make sure you crank it in only one direction---clockwise---because the schematic is in Japanese.

mainecook61

I second the Baratza "Maestro."

beyondcelery

I use a Hamilton Beach grinder:
http://amzn.to/oFRhfh

It's around $20-$30, depending on where you get it. It's proven itself durable and always gives an accurate grind. When it comes to home coffee grinders, I always recommend that people get a cheaper variety--that is, unless they're complete coffee nerds. Burr grinders are really nice, but they can be difficult to fix if they break and then they're quite expensive. Also, you have to replace the burrs every year or so to continue getting an excellent grind and those are expensive too and sometimes difficult to replace yourself without taking it into a shop. A blade grinder will still get you a good espresso grind, but without the investment or hassle of a burr grinder.

latoscana

Coffee nerds choose burr grinders, which allow you to control the grind with real precision. To learn more than you may care to know, and to compare many brands and models, check out Whole Latte Love: http://www.wholelattelove....