🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pasta with Prosciutto, Snap Peas, Mint and Cream.

78a2f834 7346 4665 9667 7e7abb78733b  2017 0220 pasta with prosciutto snap peas mint and cream james ransom 072

I have a question about the recipe "Pasta with Prosciutto, Snap Peas, Mint and Cream." Any suggestions for how I might modify this recipe if I (unfortunately) have to make it without the cream? Thanks in advance!

asked by bk_novice about 6 years ago

Use a good stock instead.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Yes, boulangere is right, a good stock will work well. If you feel the need to thicken it a bit beforehand with a bit of cornstarch, that wouldn't be bad either.

B92a4654 162f 4b4c 8192 6e5a96f8faee  meat helmet

Hi bk_novice,
I would first start by asking what your reasons for not using cream are. If it is for fat content, and not for another dietary reason (veganism...which I assume is not the case if you are keeping the prosciutto) you can make it healthier in a couple of way. 1) you can substitute "fat free half and half" for the cream. Fat free half and half is basically thickened fat free milk. It won't be quite the same, but it will be much healthier. If you cook ffhh for too long though it will clump and separate, so be careful with that. Another method for creating a good cream stock is to use a little butter (or margarine) with some flour to create a roux, and then use milk or skim milk to create a sauce. Otherwise...use a stock!

thanks, all, for your replies. the reason that I don't want to use cream is bc my husband doesn't tolerate dairy/lactose very well. when you three say "use a stock," I wonder: what *kind* of stock and how much? (forgive me--note the "novice" in my username.)

If lactose intolerance is the issue, I would just omit the cream and substitute in some extra olive oil as your "sauce". Another idea, and I have never tried this so I don't know how well it would work, would be to take the "roux" method I described above and substitute Lactaid milk. Flour, olive oil, and lactaid might work for you.