A question about a recipe: Creamy Cucumber "Side"

F1c77ddd 7a02 450a 8325 69e63ceb4fb9  061510f 402

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Cucumber "Side"" from Lizthechef. Is there anything I can use that is non dairy instead of the yogurt/sourcream? Great recipe btw!

asked by knitter320 about 7 years ago

Since "creamy," is an important part of dish, you'll be making something else. But just leaving the cream out gives you a nice cucumber salad on its own.

Lizthechef

I wish I had ideas for you but I am stumped here...Is soy yogurt considered non-dairy?

VeganFox

Try a vegan sour cream - Toffutti makes one that I swear by. I'd shy away from soy yogurt as it might be a bit too sweet for what you are looking for.

you could also do a homemade "sour cream" using silken tofu and Vegnase (a vegan mayo- or other brand- but I think Follow Your Heart's Veganse is by far the best)

Blend 1 cup crumbled silken tofu, 2 tbsp. vegan mayo until well combined in a food processor or blender. You can add 1-2tbsp if a thinner consistency is desired.

Hope that helps!

Don't worry! There are tons of amazingly delicious non-dairy alternatives.

knitter320

thanks so much for all of the responses. I am going to try the toffutti. There is a huge cucumber surplus in my garden!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Why not skim off the top creamy part of a can of coconut milk? It is the same consistency as yogurt. The best brand for this is Taste of Thai. Don't get the lowfat kind. I used this trick to replace sour cream in a potato salad over the weekend and it was amazing.