🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Creamy Cucumber "Side"

F1c77ddd 7a02 450a 8325 69e63ceb4fb9  061510f 402

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Cucumber "Side"" from Lizthechef. Is there anything I can use that is non dairy instead of the yogurt/sourcream? Great recipe btw!

asked by knitter320 over 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Since "creamy," is an important part of dish, you'll be making something else. But just leaving the cream out gives you a nice cucumber salad on its own.

D1964e69 bde7 422d 9621 9d8c1f7bc3cf  newliztoqueicon 2

I wish I had ideas for you but I am stumped here...Is soy yogurt considered non-dairy?

Try a vegan sour cream - Toffutti makes one that I swear by. I'd shy away from soy yogurt as it might be a bit too sweet for what you are looking for.

you could also do a homemade "sour cream" using silken tofu and Vegnase (a vegan mayo- or other brand- but I think Follow Your Heart's Veganse is by far the best)

Blend 1 cup crumbled silken tofu, 2 tbsp. vegan mayo until well combined in a food processor or blender. You can add 1-2tbsp if a thinner consistency is desired.

Hope that helps!

Don't worry! There are tons of amazingly delicious non-dairy alternatives.

thanks so much for all of the responses. I am going to try the toffutti. There is a huge cucumber surplus in my garden!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Why not skim off the top creamy part of a can of coconut milk? It is the same consistency as yogurt. The best brand for this is Taste of Thai. Don't get the lowfat kind. I used this trick to replace sour cream in a potato salad over the weekend and it was amazing.