A question about a recipe: Slow Roasted Garlic Tomatoes

9b3d8937 8ea8 4eb9 866b cf4b3eb5555a  dsc 0623 3

I have a question about the recipe "Slow Roasted Garlic Tomatoes" from Out of the Box Food. I love slow roasted tomatoes, and have always made them in a baking dish. The direction to use a cast iron skillet here gave me pause - I'd always heard that the acid in tomatoes is bad for the seasoning. Is that a rumor?

asked by linzarella about 7 years ago

I think it depends on how well seasoned the cast iron is. The acidity in tomatoes often reacts with cast iron, resulting in an unpleasant aftertaste. I would never slow roast in my cast iron pan for that reason. Some people say that doesn't happen as much is a very well seasoned cast iron pan. My Le Creuset braising pot, to my mind, works just as well. ;o)

Out of the Box Food

That is a really good question. I have made these tomatoes many, many times and loved the flavor, but maybe as AntoniaJames mentioned, my cast iron skillet may be very well seasoned. I'd never questioned it but would love to read any additional expert opinions about this. Learn something everyday!