A DARLING LIL' COOKER THAT MAKES THE FLUFFIEST RICE. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Corn Salad with Cilantro & Caramelized Onions

Fbd604e3 90e0 4ea7 a8c7 96fc0ec02ca9  080911 101

I have a question about the recipe "Corn Salad with Cilantro & Caramelized Onions" from Ms. T. I made the salad and the flavor was very good, however, between the regular balsamic vinegar, the addition of sugar to the carmelizing, and cooking them for 20 minutes at the suggested heat level, my onions were dark brown and no longer red. How did yours stay red/purple? Should I have used white balsamic? Thanks.

asked by lsege almost 5 years ago
C1925f5b 917a 4e62 8c98 8ff7031b0b36  food54 profile pic

Hmmm, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a sure-fire answer. First of all, my onions usually turn out browner than the Food52 test kitchen photos also, and I can assure you that it's still delicious, even though it's not as pretty! It also seems to vary a lot from onion to onion--I've found some keep their color more, and I'm not sure why (maybe based on age?). You might try a little less heat, or cooking them for slightly less time. If you try white balsamic, I'd love to hear how it turns out. Perhaps others who've tried this recipe have some better answers for you.