🔕 🔔

How to prepare and cook bluefish

My neighbor went fishing yesterday and brought us a couple of pounds of bluefish filets. I vaguely remember that there's a way to prep and cook them so they don't taste fishy...anyone have any tips?

Thanks, pickle-pals!

asked about 5 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

One of the best ways is to flame them with gin. Google "bluefish gin" and you'll get a lot of hits. Better yet, if this is going to happen to you often, get a copy of Blues by John Hersey. It's a wonderful story of a stranger and a fisherman catching and cooking bluefish.

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

When I was a little girl we would spend a week on the Cape with my great grandmother. She had only one way. Smear the flesh side with hellman's mayo sprinkle with paprika and broil til done. Sounds weird but it was great. I like to smoke bluefish and make a spread with cream cheese or quark.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

The mayo tip seems to be very popular out here in RI, and I agree, something rich and creamy like a mayo or aioli seems to work really well with bluefish. I seem to recall a good bluefish recipe in Sunday Suppers at Lucques. I also think it has a real affinity for tomatoes - I like to slow roast sliced fingerling potatoes and cherry tomatoes in olive oil with plenty of garlic cloves, then roast the bluefish filets and serve them with a lot of lemon wedges and an herbed aioli for dipping. I have really been missing the wonderful local bluefish this summer due to the pregnancy (some waters can have elevated PCP levels, so it's on the "avoid" list for pregnant and nursing women). Good luck and enjoy it!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Or you can smear it with plain yogurt with crushed garlic (green sprout removed) and a bit of lime juice; you can beat in some olive oil until smooth) and broil or bake. These strong flavors stand up to bluefish.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Well, bluefish is a fishy fish, but it can be delicious. A simple, good way to do them: give each filet a good grind of black pepper, then lay a couple of strips of smoked bacon on top (the long way), and broil. If the fish doesn't seem cooked through by the time the bacon is done, just pop it in a hot oven for a couple of minutes more. Serve with a sauce of sour cream mixed with chopped fresh dill, a bit of finely chopped onion or shallot, horseradish, a squeeze of lemon, maybe a drop of dijon, tiny pinch of sugar, s&p. Make sauce an hour or two ahead to let flavors come together - you can serve it right from fridge or at room temp.

Haven't made bluefish lately, but I remember when they were ubiquitous in these parts - jumped into the boat in the LI Sound and off NJ - no health worries, cheap...delicious if you did them right.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions. Here's what I ended up doing and we really enjoyed it: