🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Lacto-Fermented Pickles with Garlic Scapes

8f9330de d3df 482a 97d7 0c7c6f83c039  lactofermentedcukes

I have a question about the recipe "Lacto-Fermented Pickles with Garlic Scapes" from WinnieAb. Can you reduce the salt? I have to follow a low-sodium diet. I can cheat a little, but 2 T. of salt is way too much. Please advise.

asked by Savvycook about 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I have been patiently waiting for your question to be answered and finally did some research myself. Pickles are high in sodium, and Oregon State University posted some recipes for low salt pickles and they said "Salt cannot be reduced when making brined or fermented pickles and salt substitutes cannot be used". So the answer is no, you cannot use less salt in WinnieAb's recipe.
http://extension.oregonstate...