🔕 🔔

What is the secret to stir fying boneless chicken breast pieces so the texture isn't tough and stringy?

asked by jelyapt about 6 years ago

try velveting the chicken where the chicken is coated in egg white and cornstarch before frying.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I find that if I cut them in cubes, they turn out stringy; in strips, crosswise, not so much. I also second rachelib's suggestion to coat them in egg white and cornstarch!

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Whenever I do stir fry with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I always steam the chicken first. Mostly because I've had the same problem as you with toughness. It takes a little bit more time, but nothing is more tender than a steamed chicken. Put a little sake or mirin and a sampling of whatever spices you will use in the final dish in with the steaming water and you get bonus flavor! You can even do it the day before and then just shread it and toss it in your wok (or saute pan like me) and give it a good coating of your flavors.

I was going to suggest poaching them. But Niknud's suggestion of steaming will work also. I still violently dislike boneless, skinless chicken breasts because you are throwing away everything that gives them flavor.
You could also try roasting them ahead---with skin and bone---and stripping off the meat and adding that to finish your stir fry.

792214b1 12b0 45f7 974c 91146b596032  n100000085872901 6583

Steaming sounds like the easiest way to go. Thank you to everyone for your help.