A question about a recipe: Jean Anderson's Sweet Red Pepper Paste <br>(Massa de Pimentão)

I have a question about the recipe "Jean Anderson's Sweet Red Pepper Paste
(Massa de Pimentão) " from Genius Recipes. I discovered there's a narrow window between peppers cooked enough to make a smooth puree and cooked so long they get dry and can't be peeled. Suggest covering the bowl after 2 hours.

• Posted by: magdance
  • September 29, 2011

Kristen Miglore September 29, 2011

Sorry to hear that! Was your oven on convection? I started them on convection once, but switched it off when it seemed they were drying out. Thanks for the feedback -- I'll make a note in the recipe.

pierino September 29, 2011

Personally, I "roast" peppers directly on gas burners (hopefully you have them), sometimes six at a time. After that they steam in a paper bag or in a bowl under cling wrap for maybe 30 minutes. After that they peel and puree easily. Some residual burned skin is not such a bad thng.
For dried peppers such as noras I pour boiling water over them, allow them to soften and then stem and seed them.

drbabs September 29, 2011

When I made this, I found that the technique worked much better on the larger pieces of pepper. On the smaller pieces, the skin and the flesh kind of melted together.