🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Roasted Poblano Salsa

1a355129 9124 45bb bb9a 99b0abcbacce  image tjh2418

I have a question about the recipe "Roasted Poblano Salsa" from MrsWheelbarrow. The recipe calls for tomato sauce, with tomato paste being optional. I just made tomato paste - do you think I could use that without the sauce? By the way, I am going to freeze this not can it.

asked by SKK about 6 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

The recipe benefits from concentrated tomato, so upping the amount of paste, and perhaps adding water to achieve the texture you want, should work well. I'm not sure I would make the same suggestion if you were canning it, as the specific acid balance is important to shelf stability.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Thank you, Mrs.W. I with you about not canning it. Great recipe!

Hey Mrs.W - this recipe is amazingly wonderful, deep, flavorful. Took it to friends last night and no one could stop eating it. Afraid I don't have a lot left to freeze so will have to make more. This is a home run!

MrsWheelbarrow

I'm so glad you liked it, SKK! My friends and family say you never close a jar up - it's gone before you have a chance!