A question about a recipe: Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese

1253c96e cde3 44e2 8e7b 205bc80ff62f  092711 food52 88

I have a question about the recipe "Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese" from Genius Recipes.

I notice the dish you use for the final baking is quite shallow. Is that essential? Just how deep can this 3 qt. casserole be before it's too deep and can't use all those lovely croutons?

asked by Baywife about 7 years ago

caterfran

The deeper it is the creamier the inside will be. The ratio of crispy crusty to creamy depends on the depth of the pan. I think the hal deep aluminum throw away pans are perfect size.

Any 3-quart casserole-type baking dish should work. You can definitely go with one a bit deeper than the gratin dish in the photo -- we actually had extra filling that we baked off in a separate dish with very sparse topping. We just really had our hearts set on using that pan!