🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Potato Leek Au Gratin

7529d19d 416a 474c 8fbc b9cba439791f  potato

I'd like to make this ahead and bring it to a dinner party. I can do the slow 1 to 11/2 cook time at the friend's house but for how long can I let the potatos sit in the cream before hand?

asked by Atlanticgull almost 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

They would probably be okay for a couple of hours -- they might discolor a little, though. I'd recommend cooking it most of the way beforehand and finishing it at your friend's house if that's a possibility.

I agree with Merrill. You may get a little discoloration, but you could compensate for that by sprinkling on a little extra cheese once you arrive at friend's house before you cook it. Once the cream and cheese have melted and cooked over the potatoes, you probably won't notice any discoloration. You could also cook it completely earlier in the day or the day before and reheat it very gently at your friend's place. However, the sauce might break a bit with that approach, but it will still be yummy.

Thanks for the speedy advice! Making my list for a very early shopping trip tomorrow.

I'm going to bring extra cheese for camo and try and leave as little time as possible between construction and oven. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.