🔕 🔔

Maximum brining time

01da4fea ca10 4586 9ad5 fc162d69f2b6  112309f 684

I have a question about the recipe "Cider Brined Pork with Calvados, Mustard and Thyme" from Oui, Chef. I started brining the chops last night around 7, and I just found out that we won't be having them tonight. Should I continue brining them (for 48 hours, then) or take them out after 24 (or before), dry them off and store them in the fridge covered in plastic? Thanks.

asked by jocelyng about 6 years ago

7de1be53 97f2 4599 9d8c 718bbeec2110  steve dunn02

That's a great question. The risk in over-brining has to do with the salt and having the meat get too salty in the end. That said, this is not an overly salty brine, so it may be OK going 48 hrs., but to play it safe you should consider either taking it out of the brine tonight, or maybe even splitting the difference and taking it out of the brine in the morning, and drying and wrapping it then. Of course, the thickness of the chop will have a lot to do with how well it takes extra time in the brine. A real thick chop 1 1/2 - 2" would probably be fine at 48 hrs., a thin one not so much. I'd love to hear what you decide and how it all comes out in the end.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

I agree with Oui, Chef -- take the chops out of the brine tonight, cover them and then proceed. Overbrining can also result in overly mushy chops.

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

Thanks to you both. They're about an inch thick, so I think I'll play it safe and take them out tonight.