A question about a recipe: Ginger Apple Torte .

8bdb1c29 226b 4b16 aca8 a30809bbd586  2016 1027 ginger apple torte mark weinberg 402

I have a question about the recipe "Ginger Apple Torte" from drbabs.
would like to serve this to someone who can't tolerate alchohol. Does the rum "bake off"? And if not, can it be omitted? thank you!

asked by kelleya over 6 years ago

There is 3 tablespoons of rum and it will bake off, given the time in the oven. If this does not alleviate your concern, you can always use vanilla or rum extract - non-alcoholic.

nutcakes

I would not serve it if that was an issue. I have made a similar cake and it stinks of Rum, (if a good way) it may be the same cake

Just use Vanilla, , not 3 T, just one, and try to find a solution that does not use alcohol.

Now that I am remembering, it is the cake I made and it is Rum-ful scented. Pick something else.
Email me for a good gingerbread recipe. All mine are stolen so I don't put them here.

kelleya

Thank you! I think I'll try it sith a substitute.

I wouldn't take a chance about the alcohol baking off. Just add the equivalent amount of milk. I think substituting that much vanilla will throw the flavor off and you need the liquid.

Thanks, drbabs! I stand corrected and have learned a lot from this question.

It's actually not true that ALL alcohol cooks/bakes off in most recipes. Here's a chart from the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory that shows the retained percentages: http://whatscookingamerica... According to that, a cake baked 1 hour would retain about 25%. So, if the person you're serving can't tolerate any alcohol at all (e.g., certain medications react to even trace amounts; or, for some people in recovery, even just the taste/smell of alcohol can be a trigger), I'd sub something else. Given the flavors in the cake, maybe apple cider would work?

I've never tried apple cider, but I think it's an interesting idea--thanks!

kelleya

thanks to both of you. I will try a little vanailla and make up the balance of the 3 T with cider. Thank you both!

kellya, cider with a little vanilla (or almond) extract sounds tasty - but one proviso: but pure extract can have as much as 35% alcohol too. So, you might want to ask him if that's okay. (How much alcohol remains post-baking, in one serving of a cake made with, e.g., one teaspoon of extract, I can't say.)

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

If the person in ? is in recovery, please omit the alcohol.

kelleya

Not in recovery, but just gets ill. I think I will try the cider. Thanks!

Great point luvcookbooks. I cook for someone in recovery and he prefers no alcohol in his food, he cant always escape it when dining out. amysarah - thank you for making mention that extracts do contain alcohol.

kelleya

Thanks to all. This was very helpful for this recipe and others. I decided to go with 1 1/2 T milk and 1 1/2 T apple cider. it was delicious!!!! I've never made the rum version, so I can't compare but this met with rave reviews. Thanks agan!