A question about a recipe: Paintbrush Cookies Redux

8e8c696c d58b 4b75 a729 00253377242e  2011 10 27 23.02.13 1

I have a question about the recipe "Paintbrush Cookies Redux" from calendargirl.
It seems you use liquid food coloring. I only have paste/gel at the moment and wonder if it will work? Dilute?

asked by Louisa over 6 years ago

calendargirl

Louisa, I have used paste food coloring, and it does work, but I didn't have quite as much control. Try experimenting with an egg yolk (divide it in half): dilute with water, stir it up and then use a really tiny amount of your gel coloring. You will be surprised how little it takes. Let me know how it goes!

Louisa

Thanks, will do.
I have a collection of vintage cookie cutters, so am really looking forward to making them this week.

ATG117

gel is much more concentrated. I personally prefer it. And as mentioned above, due to it's intensity, you only need very little gel for smaller quantities of icing. By tiny, i mean you can take some out with a tooth pick. Go slowly. You can always ag=dd more.